Saturday, March 28, 2009

Images

As my girls are getting older, I am more aware of the "images" that the world produces. They are scary. I was talking to a dear friend the other night about what she wants to look like, and I get so frustrated because I know that those "perfect looking" women aren't real - they are the product of Hollywood or the magazine company. Why do we (as Americans) think that the perfect look is a size -2, blonde, big chest, and perfect skin? None of it is real. The young people in our country certainly believe it is real though! Don't believe me? Just ask someone over the age of 10!!!! What can I do to prepare my daughters for the real world and dealing with unrealistic images? I pray often for guidance in parenting because it is NOT EASY to raise children these days (not that it ever was, but the Internet, TV, movies, and magazines sure make it harder). Mark and I saw this interesting clip one day, and I'd like to share it. It is something that every pre-teen to adult needs to see....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

Scary, huh?

4 comments:

Lisa Hanna said...

Ok, haven't been keeping up with your blog too well--will have to do better! Absolutely can't believe your kids are so big! Wow! Say hello to Tree for me!

Lisa Aven Hanna

Jeff said...

I wish I could do that with my hair.

I wish I had the answers to your question. All I know to do is constantly affirm my children for their good actions and their heart for Christ. I don't know that what I say will resonate with my kids for several years but I keep trying and trying hoping they know they are beautiful to God and the rest doesn't really matter. It's hard to do with everything they are barraged with.

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Okay, I didn't watch the video, but I so agree with what you posted about images and unrealistic expectations. Very well put. Hope y'all are having a real good week!

April said...

Your kiddos have gotten so big! I am glad we found each others blog. I struggle with this same topic. I have pregnancy spots on my face that may or may not go away and I am already trying to figure out if I want to have them removed. You want to be yourself but then again you want to feel good about yourself at the same time. Good luck raising 2 girls. 1 will be enough for me!