Monday, January 28, 2008

Parenting!

I love my children dearly - more than I can even express in words, but sometimes they are just really challenging. I am living what my parents must have lived raising me - every parents dream for their child I am sure! Haleigh is a real challenge for me. She is so much like me that we constantly butt heads. Mark claims that he uses "creative parenting" with her, and that I need to get more creative with her in the form of punishments. Haleigh just really likes for things to go HER way, and I really like for things to go MY way. So...what do we do about that? She behaves beautifully for everyone else, and people just can't believe that I struggle with her. I see so much of me in her - good and bad. I just want her to have all the good and leave the bad. What I need to do is stop modeling the bad, huh?!

Morgan - well, she is entering puberty. What joy. She is starting to test the waters a little bit on how she can speak to me. She got a quick lesson in how not to talk to me when she decided to mouth off to me on Saturday. Of course, she is the drama queen, so I got a tearful rendition from her about how she thinks that she is "the worst person in this family". I just love those hormones!

Jacob - he still sleeps with us almost every night. Not all night, but at some point he comes to our bed. He doesn't just come to our bed - he takes over our bed. We are just too stinking lazy to take him back to his bed, so I guess we have to pay the price.

The funny thing about all of this - I complain about some of the things they do that get under my skin, but I will miss it terribly when they are no longer in my home. I will miss butting heads with Haleigh, I will miss Morgan's drama, and I will miss Jacob sleeping with me. Someday they will be doing those things will someone else. The journey of parenting is full of twists and turns, ups and downs, and it goes by too fast. I think I will enjoy the journey while I have it!

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Do enjoy it. I've learned that my kids really aren't different than I was growing up and I turned out semi-normal. I still won't tolerate rude language and bad attitudes but I've found my punishment (when I keep my wits about me) had changed over the last few years as I want to appeal to their heads and hearts more than their bottoms.

I suppose parenting will be filled with ups and downs, as it always has, and that Haleigh, Morgan and Jacob will turn out to be great people just like their parents.

Jodi said...

Oh, all the wonderful things I have to look forward to! Ups and downs for sure... but it sounds like you take it in stride. :) I am already starting the struggles with discipline... but it's because my kiddo is so UNLIKE me! Keep keeping us posted... I'll learn alot from you! :)

*Kendra* said...

Oh man---I don't want Cass to grow up! I know what I was like as a teenager....I guess you know what I was like too! :)

The Timberframer's Wife said...

I needed to read that tonight as my son and I have been at odds about his basic direction in life the last few days. He is determined to pursue life as a public screamer and daredevil, and I just have hopes for something more stable. Hope y'all have a great weekend!