Monday, August 20, 2007

Shipwrecked

Our preacher has been doing a series of outstanding lessons over the book of Acts this summer. We are finally reaching the end of the series, and Rick gave an outstanding lesson yesterday about Paul's shipwreck in Acts 27. Through his lesson he paralleled the many ways that we as Christians can find our life wrecked - through sudden loss of a loved one, through financial ruin, through broken marriages, etc. Many people flock to religion because they think that they will be safe from "shipwrecks" in their life, but Rick reminded us that happiness and success in life is not a guarantee just because we are children of God. In fact, it is not a question of "if" we will encounter a shipwreck but rather a question of "when" we will encounter one. There is always going to be situations that arise in our life. The question is, how will we handle them? This started me thinking about how much am I not like Paul? He spoke of an angel in v. 23 that spoke to him and told him that no life would be lost - only the ship. He held fast to the truth, and he persuaded the others on the ship to believe. Just as the angel had spoken, no life was lost. I have to ask myself - do I seek God through my storms, and do I praise Him through my storms? Me and my sisters, my brother, and my parents are going through a "hurricane" right now. How can I change my heart so that I can make it through the storm and still praise HIM? I need to be more like Paul! I will be blaring my Casting Crowns cd!

CASTING CROWNS LYRICS
"Praise You In This Storm"
I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen",
and it's still raining
As the thunder rolls
I barely hear
Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away
I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You
As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away
I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

8 comments:

Jeff said...

I didn't know you were the blogging kind but really appreciate reading your thoughts today.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

this song is our theme song. It came out at a time where we were really having to trust God. Now when challenges come up Jeff will turn this song on and say "Let's praise Him in this storm"

I love having you in blogland, it's so fun to "talk" to you! :)

Melissa Taylor said...

Susan - send me your email address to my email please. melissamtaylor@embarqmail.com

Jodi said...

Love that song. It speaks to me too like crazy....

Hate to hear about a "hurricane" in your life, but I loved what you shared about it.... lifted me up to know that I am not the only one who struggles and wishes she was more like Paul!!! I'm praying for you RIGHT NOW. Love y'all.

Jodi said...

To answer your question, yes, Amie went to CDR back in your day. I actually think she was in your cabin at one time possibly. Her maiden name is Bramlett, if that helps...

Bev Ross said...

I LOVE your blog!!! Powerful word, Sister! I, too, love the Casting Crowns song! I will be praying with you through this 'hurricane'.

Bev Ross said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erica said...

Call it a hurricane, shipwreck, whatever...it's not fun. Even I find your message/song/post enlightening....did you see my new blog? About trying to find myself? Haha..just kidding...I just want to know what is going on in my life more...I know who I am. :) Click on my name to see it. Don't worry sis...if it's just a hurricane...it passes right?