Monday, June 23, 2008

Retreat Re-cap

We are not home from Brazil - just from the retreat. We got in yesterday afternoon and had time to rest and shower before we went out for a nice dinner last night. Today is our last full day here. We are having a tourism day so that we can see the sights and shop! We get to sleep in tomorrow before we have to check out of our hotel, eat lunch, and head to the airport.

The retreat was great. We got to see a lot of friends we had made on our trip here two years ago, and we got to meet a bunch of new friends. We had approx. 50 kids for our classes. We had five classes, and I cannot even begin to tell you how glad I am to be done with that stuff. A huge weight lifted off of us :) I love the kids, but they sure can wear you out! Let´s just say that I rested very well last night! The rest of the retreat was just a great time to sing, pray, and worship together with the Brazilians. What a joy that is - even though we don´t speak the same language, we have a great bond! I am so thankful for our translators!!!!!!

Last week, during VBS, a teacher brought her kids. Her son attends church in Aracaju, and she heard about our VBS and wanted her kids to come. Well, she came to the retreat with her son, and she was baptized on Saturday. What a blessing! A man that works at the hotel asked Everett if he would study with him because he really wants to know what we´re about. They have studied once and are going to study again today. He is also planning on attending the classes at the School of the Bible. Will, one of our translators (he was an exchange student to Decatur last year), has been asking a lot of questions and has also been studying with Everett. Both of these guys will continue their studying with Everett today, so please pray specifically for these things today! Will is amazing - a 16 year old who is helping us in more ways than I can say. We are excited that he has been able to hear many lessons about God as well during the retreat.

Bela and Victor are my new BFF´s! They are a couple here in Aracaju that moved here shortly after our last trip. They both speak English quite well and have been so helpful during this trip. Bela gave me a New Testament Bible last night (in Port.) as a thank you gift. They are the most amazing couple - we need them in Decatur - I sure wish they wanted to move there, but they don´t! They are a tremendous blessing to the church here, and have helped it so very much.

We are about to head out here in a little to be tourists! I was feeling really homesick last night, but I feel better now. I was just lonely for Mark and my kids. They got to go see Morgan at CDR on Saturday, and I was missing that. I really miss having someone to sleep with and snuggle up with. I can´t wait to do that (Mark and Jacob). I miss Haleigh´s laugh and seeing Morgan read 24 hours a day in her room! We had a great time at dinner last night - I needed a little pick me up because my heart is starting to ache for home. We are having a lot of fun though, so don´t worry about me! I can always manage to have a good time. I was wanting to rebel last night and sneak out, but no one would do it with me - such rule followers! I was wanting to take Amy Oxford out to get a tattoo, but we don´t really trust the tattoo places here! I guess I´ll have to take her in Texas :) I will write some more tonight after our day of tourism (in the rain)!

1 comments:

Erica said...

Sounds like things are going well....sorry you miss the fam...but you'll be home soon! A tattoo down there...are you nuts? Get one in texas! Crazy girl